Out of the Box FoodSM Mini Banana “Cupcakes”
Calling them cupcakes may elevate these little morsels into the “treat” category with your kids, but you’ll know you’re sending them to school with a whole grain, fruit filled, omega-three rich food.
Special Equipment: mini muffin tin
- 1 2/3 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 C (or more if desired) flax seed meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened (plus more for greasing)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 C mashed ripe banana (3-4 medium)
- 1/4 C crushed dried banana chips
- 2-4 tbsp dark chocolate chips/chunks (preferably 70 percent cacao – available at Whole Foods)
For Optional Icing (not shown)
- 1/3 C sour cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease mini muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flax seed meal, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Add applesauce and blend well. Stir in eggs until blended. Add mashed bananas and beat 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir until moistened.
- Spoon batter into mini muffin tins. To make an assortment of cupcakes: sprinkle crushed banana chips on 1/3 of the muffins, place 3-5 chocolate chips-chunks on 1/3 of muffins and leave 1/3 plain. Get creative!
- Bake for 28-32 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Whisk sour cream, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Top cupcakes with icing.
© 2011, kimgerber. All rights reserved.