The first day sugar pumpkins were displayed in the market, my children HAD to have them. They couldn’t wait to make Pumpkin Pasties ala Harry Potter, pumpkin pie, and all the delicious fall pumpkin treats. So we bought them…and made lots of pumpkin puree.
After reaching out to my Facebook community for Sunday morning breakfast ideas, Joelle’s suggestion of a pumpkin loaf reminded me that I had tons of pumpkin puree in the refrigerator. It was time to create a new pumpkin treat for my family. Muffins are great warm, right out of the oven, but they’re also a delicious addition to the lunch box and I’m always in need of lunch box ideas! These Pumpkin muffins are paired with another ingredient I turn to often in the fall, pure maple syrup. The combination of the pumpkin and the maple really come together to make a delicious, lightly sweetened muffin.
Out of the Box FoodSM Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 /C all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 C pumpkin puree (or unsweetened canned pumpkin)
- 1/4 C milk
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs, separated and room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, flax meal, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together pumpkin, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, melted butter & egg yolks.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until beginning to stiffen.
- With a wooden spoon, gently stir wet ingredients into dry (do not over mix or muffins will be dense).
- Gently fold in egg whites until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased or parchment lined muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Keep any additional muffins in an airtight container for 2-3 days or freeze.
*Lunch box tip: Wrap extra muffins individually in foil and place in seal-able freezer bag for lunch box treats.
*For Frosted Pumpkin “Cupcakes” – Whisk together the following ingredients and spread atop cooled Pumpkin Muffins
- 1/3 C sour cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
Until next week…
© 2011, kimgerber. All rights reserved.