I admit, I had an entirely different post ready to publish this week. But when my friend Samantha from Good Life Organics posted a Beet Pancake recipe from Weelicious on my Facebook Page, I knew I had to change things up. Now, I already knew I liked to use beet “juice” as a food coloring, but Catherine McCord at Weelicious took it a step further – she pureed the entire beet and added it to recipes. I love this idea! The picture of her bright pink, beet pancakes instantly made me think “Valentines Day” so I used her idea of pureed beets, added them to my buttermilk pancake & waffle recipe, poured the batter onto the griddle in the shape of a heart and VOILA – Valentine Pancakes. I hope you and your special Valentine enjoy these on Tuesday and well…why not celebrate all year!
- 2 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp raw (turbinado) sugar
- 2 C buttermilk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 -2 roasted and pureed beets (depending on your tastes)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 – 1 C blackberries or raspberries (thawed if frozen)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites until fluffy. Add buttermilk, pureed beet, and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in berries.
- Heat griddle to medium. Lightly grease with butter or oil.
- Using a spoon, ladel batter onto griddle in the shape of a heart. Cook until bubbling then flip and cook until done.
- Top with butter and maple syrup or our Berry Syrup.
Happy Valentines Day to you all! Next week I’m excited to introduce you to a new project I’m working on for Jamie Oliver’s Food Foundation. We’re going to need your help and support – Want to get a head start? Here’s a sneak peak: http://wishes.causes.com/wishes/421160. Until next week…
© 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.