When feeding a crowd or just feeding my family, I often turn to this recipe for Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken. The warmth of the garlic and the tang from the roasted lemon give this dish a punch you won’t find in many other roasted chicken dishes.
Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken
Special Equipment: large cast iron skillet (or large skillet and large baking dish/roasting pan)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 lemons
- 4 bulbs garlic
- 3-4 sprigs rosemary
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cut tops off of three heads of garlic. Smash the fourth with the heal of your hand or the flat side of a wide knife to separate the cloves.
- Slice lemons into thick slices (or wedges if desired)
- Heat cast iron skillet (or heavy bottomed skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet, then place lemon pieces and whole bulbs of garlic, cut side down in still hot skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove lemon pieces and garlic bulbs to plate.
- Place chicken, skin side down in hot skillet. (you may do this in batches depending on the size of your pan. Do not over-crowd the chicken. Over crowding will cause chicken to steam rather than brown.
- When chicken is golden brown, flip (skin side up) and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Press Lemon pieces onto each piece of chicken, leaving them to bake on top of the chicken pieces.
- Place whole bulbs of garlic around the chicken.
- Scatter garlic cloves (still in skins) around the chicken.
- Break apart rosemary sprigs and distribute between chicken pieces
- Place skillet in oven (uncovered) and roast for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
*If you don’t have an oven proof skillet large enough to hold all the chicken, do steps 5 – 9 in batches then place browned chicken, garlic and lemons in a large baking dish to complete steps 10-14.
If you’d like to join us on our Real Food Advocate journey for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution or are just looking for a way to to give back, check out our Real Food Advocates Facebook page or Donate directly on our Wishes page. We appreciate all your support! Until next week…
© 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.