Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken

by kimgerber on 03/03/2012

Print Friendly

When feeding a crowd or just feeding my family, I often turn to this recipe for Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken.  The warmth of the garlic and the tang from the roasted lemon give this dish a punch you won’t find in many other roasted chicken dishes.

_______________________________________________________________________

Roasted Garlic Lemon Chicken

Special Equipment: large cast iron skillet  (or large skillet and large baking dish/roasting pan)

Ingredients:

• 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
  • 3 lemons
  • 4 bulbs garlic
  • 3-4 sprigs rosemary
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • sea salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Season with salt & pepper.
  3. Cut tops off of three heads of garlic.  Smash the fourth with the heal of your hand or the flat side of a wide knife to separate the cloves.
  4. Slice lemons into thick slices (or wedges if desired)
  5. Heat cast iron skillet (or heavy bottomed skillet) over medium-high heat.
  6. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet, then place lemon pieces and whole bulbs of garlic, cut side down in still hot skillet and brown for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Remove lemon pieces and garlic bulbs to plate.
  8. Place chicken, skin side down in hot skillet.  (you may do this in batches depending on the size of your pan.  Do not over-crowd the chicken.  Over crowding will cause chicken to steam rather than brown.
  9. When chicken is golden brown, flip (skin side up) and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
  10. Press Lemon pieces onto each piece of chicken, leaving them to bake on top of the chicken pieces.
  11. Place whole bulbs of garlic around the chicken.
  12. Scatter garlic cloves (still in skins) around the chicken.
  13. Break apart rosemary sprigs and distribute between chicken pieces
  14. Place skillet in oven (uncovered) and roast for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

*If you don’t have an oven proof skillet large enough to hold all the chicken, do steps 5 – 9 in batches then place browned chicken, garlic and lemons in a large baking dish to complete steps 10-14.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you’d like to join us on our Real Food Advocate journey for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution or are just looking for a way to to give back, check out our Real Food Advocates Facebook page or Donate directly on our Wishes page.  We appreciate all your support!  Until next week…

© 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Julia March 15, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Great pictures! It looks amazing and I can’t wait to make it for my family.

Deena@StayatHomeFOODIE March 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

LOVE! I make a roasted chicken with the same flavor profile. It’s my favorite combo for roasted chicken. YUM!

Jeff Wise March 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Really great recipe and I love the pictures! We do love to eat hormone and anti-biotic free chicken but struggle for ideas. I think my kids would really like the taste of this so I’ll Pin It so I can find it later.

Rikki March 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is a new favorite of mine! The lemon, garlic and rosemary are so good together, I can taste it already!

Sarah Lopez March 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Great post! I just happened to have a whole roaster in the fridge and was trying to think of something different to do with it. Chicken flavor was great, I did sub the garlic with ginger though. Loved it. Thanks!

kimgerber March 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I bet the ginger was great! I’ll have to try that too…Thanks for the comment.

Mary Solis March 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Perfect timing on this post! It is only Monday and somehow already felt behind on the dinner menus for the week. I was tempted to order in tonight or go with a less “home-cooked”meal when I saw this post. While my kids like some of my “go to” chicken dinners like balsamic chicken or lime chicken, they are tired of them. We haven’t done lemon garlic in awhile and this version was a hit! Quote from my 5 year-old, “This is SO good. Can I have more?” I used the hot oven to add a bunch of roast veggies–asparagus, broccoli and zucchini– as sides. I heated up some green beans just in case. Everything has been eaten up so a huge thanks to OOTBF for a healthy family dinner of protein and veggies!! My kids love that I love this site so keep the easy family dinner reminders coming please!

kimgerber March 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Fantastic! I’m so happy to hear this, Mary!! Your girls have really adopted the desire to eat Real Food and I couldn’t be more proud of them and you! Way to go!