In our last post we made a whole grain alternative to a classic french pastry, Gougères. The reason I tackled these little light as air delicacies was to ultimately turn them into a fun and fresh alternative lunch box sandwich for kids. I know I’ll break out the recipe again down the road and turn them into sweet treats, fun appetizers…the possibilities are endless, but this week they’re going to become the basis for our lunch box sandwiches.
What kid doesn’t love “mini” food. The supermarket is full of mini food catered to kids: mini hot dogs, mini packages of chips and cookies even mini carrots packaged with dip just for kids! But fun, mini meals don’t need to just come in the form of unhealthy processed food . We can make bitty sandwiches using these nutritious Gougères (which are so simple to make), natural fillings and fresh vegetables bringing simple Real Food nutrition and flavor to a kids’s favorite: the mini meal.
Mini Gougères Lunch Box Sandwiches
Serves: 2 lunch boxes
- 6 Whole Grain Cheese Gougères
- Uncured, natural turkey (we used Applegate Lemon Rosemary Turkey)
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- Red leaf lettuce or spinach
- 1/2 medium avocado
- Mustard, Olive Oil & Red Wine Vinegar, or both
- Chiffonade the lettuce or spinach into thin strips. Set aside.
- Slice avocado. Set aside.
- Slice pre-baked Gougères in half horizontally.
- Spread mustard on bottom half or drizzle red wine vinegar & olive oil (depending on your or your child’s taste)
- Top with turkey, Gruyere, avocado and thinly sliced lettuce.
- Place top of Gougères back on sandwich and serve.
Need more ideas for lunch box packing? Check out our Healthy Lunch Box Ideas page for ideas, recipes and more. Until next week…
© 2012 – 2013, kimgerber. All rights reserved.