Mini food is fun food! Baked up in crispy, shredded potato crusts, and filled with fresh eggs, milk and organic spinach, these mini muffin tin creations turn healthy food into fun food for kids. Served warm or room temperature these little quiches make a delicious light meal, party appetizer, or a great addition to any lunchbox!
Mini Spinach & Gruyere Quiches with a Hash Brown Crust
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 55-60 minutes
Serves: makes 12 individual quiches
Special Equipment: 1, 12 cup non-stick muffin tin
- 1 (20 oz) bag frozen all-natural Hash Browns (please read ingredients on package)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 8 oz frozen organic chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Pour 1/4 tsp olive oil into each cup of the muffin tin.
- Add 1/2 cup hash browns to each cup.
- Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove tin from oven and using a wooden spoon, press softened hash browns against the sides of each tin, leaving a thin layer on the bottom.
- Drizzle hash browns with and additional 1/8 tsp olive oil.
- Return muffin tin to oven and continue baking an additional 20 minutes or until browned and crisp. Set aside.
For Mini Quiches:
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp olive oil and chopped onion.
- Saute until translucent (3-5 minutes). Let cool.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, egg whites, spinach, onion, milk, Gruyere and sea salt.
- Pour egg mixture into browned hash brown cups.
- Return muffin tin to oven and bake quiches for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Until next time…
© 2013, kimgerber. All rights reserved.