Maple Pumpkin Pie with Whole Wheat & Flax Crust
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 C pure maple syrup
- 1 3/4 C fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 1/4 C half and half
- single Whole Wheat & Flax Pie Crust
- 1 egg for egg wash
- If making fresh pie crust, make dough (recipe following) and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough between two sheets of parchment until thin.
- Remove top sheet of parchment, place exposed side of dough into pie plate then remove bottom sheet of parchment.
- Trim excess dough and crimp edges decoratively. Prick bottom of crust several times with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg for egg wash.
- Pour dried beans in foil and make packet. Put bean/foil packet on bottom of pie crust and bake crust for 20 minutes. Remove foil packet and gently brush edges of crust with egg wash. Continue baking for additional 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown all over. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl mix pumpkin, 3 egg yolks, cream, half and half, maple syrup and spices. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 3 egg whites until very frothy. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into baked pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minute – 1 hour or until center is slightly jiggly but set.
- Let cool.
- Top with Maple Whipped Cream or Maple Sour Cream Glaze
© 2013, kimgerber. All rights reserved.