Out of the Box FoodSM Corn Muffin “Sandwiches”
If your kids like corn muffins then give these a try. They are packed full of wholesome ingredients like whole wheat flour and corn meal, and protein packed eggs, cheese and ham.
Special Equipment: muffin tin, non-stick cooking spray or paper muffin cups
- 1 C cornmeal
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1-2 C grated cheese (we used cheddar for this recipe)
- 1-2 C cubed “uncured” ham (without nitrites or nitrates)
- 1/2 – 1 C frozen corn kernels (thawed and drained) if desired
- Place muffin tin in oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, honey and melted butter.
- Whisk grated cheese into milk mixture.
- Add milk mixture into dry mixture and stir with spoon until incorporated.
- Stir in ham and corn if using.
- Remove hot muffin tin from oven and coat with cooking spray (if using), or place paper cups in pan.
- Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
© 2011, kimgerber. All rights reserved.