Lunch Box Sushi Roll

by kimgerber on 06/29/2011

Print Friendly

Out of the Box Food‘s Lunch Box Sushi RollSM

This one has been a HUGE hit with both my kids and their friends that they sit with at the school lunch tables.  I now have to send them with two whole rolls so that they can share with their friends.

Ingredients:

• 2 C short grain rice
  • 2 C water
  • 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • nori seaweed wrappers
  • smoked salmon/lox
  • avocado

Directions:

• Cook rice according to package directions (can also be made in a rice cooker for more ease)
  • In small saucepan heat vinegar, sugar and salt over low burner until combined.
  • When rice is cooked, pour vinegar mixture over and toss to combine.
  • Spread thin layer of sushi rice on nori (seaweed) sheet.
  • Lay smoked salmon along one length of sheet about 1inch from edge.
  • Lay avocado on top of  salmon.
  • Roll & slice. (whole uncut roll can be made the night before and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.  Unwrap and slice before packing lunch box.)

© 2011 – 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel October 8, 2012 at 6:14 am

A bit of lemon juice on avocado stops it going brown, use on cut apple and banana too!

Sandwich sushi is an alternative – flatten bread with a rolling pin and use as a base, or rye wraps/mountain bread and cut in small sushi sizes.

Natalie September 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hi there! Thanks for this recipe. One question: How do you keep the avocado from turning brown?

kimgerber September 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

I have yet to discover a failsafe way to keep avocado green for extended periods of time — if anyone has a trick or an idea, please share!!! That being said, I pack avocado in my kids’ lunches often and find it stays fresh enough until lunch time if kept cool.

Sue January 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Soy is such a not good thing anymore. There is much information to the detriment of soy products. I have severe gluten intolerance as do my children. I then acquired an allergy to soy. It is secretly hidden in almost as many items as is corn syrup. I do not advise feeding this to children. There are so many good alternatives.

Khara September 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

Amanda… my sushi restaurant makes rolls with spiral-sliced cucumbers (making it a flat sheet). My husband prefers these to the nori and I like them as well. Here’s a website I found with instructions on how to do it. I’m not sure why there is a photo of a nori wrap on the page, so ignore that. Hope this helps!

Marn March 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

What is the website that you suggested? I can’t see it in your reply.

Khara March 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Sorry about that!
Here’s the page: http://www.sushilinks.com/sushi-recipes/cucumber-roll.html

Also, here’s a video showing a cucumber being prepared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtklyMSk7A

Jenny September 18, 2011 at 8:16 am

I will research this a bit on my own, but is it a must to use the sugar? I guess that helps the rice stick together. I’m going to look for ideas on how to leave out any type of sugar. Thank you for submitting this. I’ve never really considered making sushi rolls on my own, but my daughter would love it as long as there is no roe in it! She’s not quite ready for that. But what a fun, healthy and different school lunch!

kimgerber September 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Good question. In my experience, sushi rice is made with vinegar and sugar for flavor. I’ve made rice without the sugar and it’s been plenty sticky, but the vinegar and sugar give it a different taste that works well with sushi. That being said, I’m sure you can do it without the sugar, but you’ll probably also want to also omit the vinegar or it may be too tangy. Let me know how it goes!

Amanda September 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Kim…my daughter wants to like sushi. We have tried it so many times, but she can’t get past the seaweed wrapper. I’m not sure if it is the taste or the texture. Can you think of any alternatives I can use? Just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks!

kimgerber September 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Hi Amanda,
I would give soy paper or even spring roll wrappers (rice paper) a try! Both of these wraps should be available in the Asian section of many markets or in specialty markets. Many sushi restaurants offer the soy paper as an alternative so I know your daughter is not alone! Let me know how it works out if you give it a try.

Khara March 29, 2012 at 2:45 am

Another suggestion would be to use cucumber in stead of seaweed! That’s actually my husband’s favorite!

Here’s a link with instructions: http://www.sushilinks.com/sushi-recipes/cucumber-roll.html
(I’m not sure why there is a photo of a nori wrap on the page, so ignore that.)

Also, here’s a video showing a cucumber being prepared to use as a wrap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtklyMSk7A