Out of the Box FoodSM Wholesome & Hearty Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Adapted from Clean Eating’s Chocolate Spiked Oatmeal Cookie recipe)
These are so satisfying, they make a terrific afternoon snack for mom too. Put on a pot of green tea, plate a couple of these cookies and steal a quiet moment to re-energize!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cook (or regular) old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Perfect Pantry Staples)
- 1/4 C flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tsp unsalted almond or peanut butter (optional) – leave out for nut-free school lunches
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 70 percent cacao chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together agave, egg white, almond butter and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients all at once and combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet and press each mound with back of spoon to flatten.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
© 2011, kimgerber. All rights reserved.