A healthy chocolate recipe and a giveaway? What could be better?!! Well, if the giveaway is this amazing supply of King Arthur Flour and their 612 page cookbook not much! I am really excited about our Giveaway and post this week. America’s oldest flour company, King Arthur Flour, and I have teamed up this week to offer you a new healthy chocolate cake recipe and the chance to win a prize package of King Arthur Flour products including their fantastic cookbook.
When I told one of my sons I’d be doing some Out of the Box Food work with King Arthur Flour, his first response was to run from the room, shouting to his brother that “mom knows a King!” (honest truth) After the excitement had died down and I was able to further explain about that King Arthur Flour is a company and that we were going to develop recipes adapted from their cookbook, their next response was, “chocolate cake”. Well okay.
King Arthur Flour’s Cookbook, “Whole Grain Baking” is filled with recipes for pastries, breads, cookies…well pretty much anything you can bake in the oven made healthy. My search for chocolate cake in the index brought me to their Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Bingo. My take on King Arthur Flour’s Chocolate Zucchini cake ups the nutrition ante just a bit. Instead of vegetable oil I use unsweetened applesauce. I also added some flax meal for a bump in the omega-threes and chose raw sugar instead of refined. This cake was amazing both ways, so I encourage you to try both yourself.
THE GIVEAWAY! – Simply share a comment below and you’ll be entered to win a prize package from King Arthur Flour containing their whole flax seed, whole flax meal, whole wheat flour, unbleached white whole wheat flour and their amazing Whole Grain Baking cookbook. Any comment will do – offer a tip for healthy baking, share your favorite King Arthur Product or even just pop on and say hi. Want to earn EVEN MORE entries? Here’s how:
Please note: You must make a separate comment for every ENTRY
- “Like” Out of the Box Food on our Facebook Page – 1 Entry
- “Like” King Arthur Flour on their Facebook Page – 1 Entry
- Follow Out of the Box Food on Twitter - 1 Entry
- Follow King Arthur Flour on Twitter- 1 Entry
- Subscribe to Out of the Box Food (form on our sidebar)– 1 Entry
- Subscribe to King Arthur Flour’s Newsletter - 1 Entry
- Re-post this article on your Facebook Page – 1 Entry
- Join King Arthur Flour’s Online Community, the Baking Circle – 1 Entry
That’s nine ways to enter and unlimited chances to win!! The more you participate, the better your chances! Don’t forget you must comment a separate time for every entry since each comment will be assigned a number for a chance to win. Already “liked” us on our Facebook page or are a Subscriber? That counts too…just let us know in the comment field. Contest runs for two weeks and ends Saturday February 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm PST and winner will be selected by Random.org. Winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be drawn. Contest open to residents of US or Canada only.
Thank you to all who entered our King Arthur Flour Giveaway. The Contest is now closed.
Almost “Health Food” Dark Chocolate Cake
(adapted from King Arthur Flour – Whole Grain Baking)
Special Equipment: 10 cup bundt cake pan
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Baking Time: 45-50 minutes
- 2 1/2 C traditional whole wheat flour
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 C flax meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 C raw (turbinado) sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C “zested” zucchini (1 large or 2 small) – zest the zucchini’s over a microplane zester or fine grater
- 1 C dark chocolate chips/pieces (70% cacao preferably)
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 C dark chocolate chips or 6 oz dark chocolate (70% cacao or higher) bar broken into small pieces
- 1 tbsp honey
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the pan.
For the cake:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together the raw sugar and applesauce. Add the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir until moistened. Add the zucchini. Stir.
- Add the remainder of the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until the top springs back.
- Remove pan to wire rack and cool 15 minutes. If cake doesn’t give way easily, run a knife around the sides of the pan, put the wire rack on top of the pan, flip over and tap the pan to release the cake. Cool completely.
For the Glaze:
- Warm the milk over low heat until just to a simmer (do not boil).
- Add chocolate and stir rapidly until smooth.
- Stir in honey.
- Drizzle or spread glaze over the top of the cake.
*This recipe can also be baked into cupcakes. Baking time will need to be reduced.
Thinking of picking up a boxed chocolate cake mix? Think again. The nationally recognized boxed mix we examined contained corn syrup, corn starch, partially hydrogenated oil, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate and artificial flavor…just to name a few.
My boys and I are having so much fun trying the recipes in King Arthur Flour’s Whole Grain Baking Book! Next week we’ll feature my other son’s selection from the book…Brownies! Be sure to pop over and join us on a healthy take to a classic and don’t miss your chance to enter this amazing King Arthur Flour Giveaway – Contest ends Saturday February 4th. Until next week…
© 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.