It’s a Pie Party! A few weeks ago a fellow blogger, Shauna Ahern at the wonderful site Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef and some of her friends, decided to get other bloggers, home cooks & chefs together for an internet wide Pie Party on July 5th. Well, I didn’t need much more than the suggestion to bake up my families favorite, Blueberry-Apricot Pie. But to give it the Out of the Box Food Health Boost, I made it with very little added sugar and baked it in a whole wheat and flax crust. My family sends out a big, giant “thank you” through a mouthful of Blueberry Apricot Pie to all who created “Pie Party”. They can’t wait until the next one!
Out of the Box FoodSM Deep Dish Blueberry-Apricot Pie
Special Equipment: Deep dish pie pan, rolling pin, decorative cookie cutter, baking sheet, foil, parchment (optional – for rolling out dough)
- Whole Wheat & Flax Crust (double recipe)
- 6 C fresh blueberries
- 3 large apricots, sliced
- 1/3 C raw/granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch or 5 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out 1/2 of dough and lay in pie dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch/tapioca with lemon juice and sugar.
- Add blueberries and apricots. Toss to coat.
- Pour berry mixture into pie dish.
- Roll out 2nd half of dough. Cut out decorative shapes and lay cutouts over the top of the pie.
- Brush crust with beaten egg wash.
- Place pie on foil lined baking sheet and place baking sheet w/ pie in oven.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling. (cover the edges of the pie with foil when brown to prevent burning)
- Let rest to set. Serve.
© 2011 – 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.