Our family has been trying to eat less meat. With a husband who eats vegetarian, the cost of free range/organic/grass fed meats and poultry, and the known health benefits to a veggie-centric diet, we have committed ourselves to exploring new ways to make dinners without meat. But centering meals around vegetables hasn’t been as appealing to the kids as a big, juicy burger – so this new venture has been a challenge.
When we tried tried these Portabello Sliders, the kids cleaned their plates. By making them “burger bar” style, the kids were able to add whatever toppings they wished, making them a “burger” of their own invention – always a plus in my house.
Grilled Portabello Sliders
Special Equipment: BBQ or Grill Pan
- 2 large Portabello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 C olive oil
- pepper to taste
- Slider Buns (or crusty dinner rolls)
- blue cheese (or cheese of choice for kids)
- Toppings & condiments (Sliced tomato, baby spinach leaves, red onion, grilled onions, ketchup, mustard, garlic mayo etc…)
- Clean mushroom caps with a wet paper towel. Remove stem and scrape out gills with a spoon and discard gills.
- Mix lemon juice, sea salt, garlic, soy sauce olive oil and pepper in a small bowl. Pour into large zip sealable bag and add mushroom caps.
- Marinate mushroom caps in the refrigerator at least two hours (longer is good too)
- Heat grill (grill pan) to medium.
- Remove Mushroom caps from marinade and place on grill.
- Grill mushroom caps until tender, 4-5 minutes per side, then top with cheese to melt.
- Lightly grill slider buns.
- Assemble sliders “burger bar” style and allow family to top with assorted toppings.
We’re going to be working to bring more veggies into our dinners so I’ll be sure to share more Meatless Monday’s Family Style ideas throughout the year. Next week we’ll be gearing up for back-to-school, so be sure to pop over as we share our favorite lunch box ideas, offer a place for you to share your ideas AND announce a timely back-to-school GIVEAWAY! Until next week…
© 2011 – 2012, kimgerber. All rights reserved.